SyncToy for Windows

Having an IT question? Wondering something about internet, wishing to share some information or knowledge on a given topic, having a question on your website coding...
Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

SyncToy for Windows

Post by Lakys » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:32 pm

Well, people having several computers, or both a laptop and a workstation know this well:
It is a real pain to have your files synced on both your computers.

It becomes even more tricky when you play with 3D and you have 200,000 files to share. Putting them on the network simply kills the time responses of the high end software.
So they have to be present on each and every workstation. Just imagine you improve your runtime folder, move this folder there and just want to not have to do this more than once.
Don't want to copy neither the entire folder more than once...

Ok so you also need a sync tool. I have tried one before, it was pretending to be professional. Thing is it worked, but use to crash probably because of the huge number of files.

So I googled a little and found this feature was implemented on Windows Vista. The new implementation is derived from both offline file system and SyncToy.
SyncToy works for Windows XP and is completely free.

I like the fact you have several options about the way the files are synced.

I shall let you know how it works.

Disclaimer: no guarantee! Use it at your own risk.

Link to SyncToy download
Attachments
synctoy1.jpg
synctoy1.jpg (57.96 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
synctoy2.jpg
synctoy2.jpg (53.52 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
Last edited by Lakys on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some first results

Post by Lakys » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:38 am

I let the program run last night.

I thought it has bugged as the progression bar was stuck on the same value. But not at all.

In the morning, it came with the first sync results. The report indicates that it has found new files. 10126 new files were copied. It shows 12 errors on them (we shall see what it is, a link to those errors is showed to the top). 1912 files overwritten, 601 folder creations. "326 185 files did not require action", which means that the tool detected that it was synced once and that it is not necessary to copy identical files, which is good!

Opening the error panel returns a full and detailed list of the files which have produced the errors.
Actually, those files are temp files existing on the target (right) folder. As I used "Echo" sync action, the system does not take files from right folder. So those "errors" are files which are out of sync procedure just because I choosed "Echo". So it is normal, no real error. Then, I assume it is fully succesful (but really detailed).

So far I am glad to see that reports are really accurate and informative.

Let's start a second run...
Attachments
synctoy3.jpg
synctoy3.jpg (64.53 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
synctoy4.jpg

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another run

Post by Lakys » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:13 am

Succesful and quick! :)
Attachments
synctoy5.jpg
synctoy5.jpg (63.06 KiB) Viewed 1351 times

weimart
Future Engineer
Future Engineer

Post by weimart » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:44 am

This seems a very useful piece of software. I'll probably use it when I replace my laptop (It died this summer :evil: It started crashing in late spring... and the motherboard expired mid july... RIP :twisted: )

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lakys » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:48 am

weimart wrote:This seems a very useful piece of software. I'll probably use it when I replace my laptop (It died this summer :evil: It started crashing in late spring... and the motherboard expired mid july... RIP :twisted: )
Ah sorry to hear this. Summer was deadly for me either: I've lost my main 22" CRT monitor plus the recent crash of my main workstation hard disk system (Raid 0).
Beside, welcome back Weimart! :)

MadameX
Inexperienced
Inexperienced

Post by MadameX » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:08 pm

I only have the one PC, but hope to get a new one soonish...lol. This one is 6 years old now! Something like this looks like it would be very useful. And looks like it might be simple enough for me to figure out, too.......maybe.....

Once I get the hang of it, seeing as how I've never had another pc networked to this one (It is called a network, right?).

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lakys » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:38 pm

MadameX wrote:I only have the one PC, but hope to get a new one soonish...lol. This one is 6 years old now! Something like this looks like it would be very useful. And looks like it might be simple enough for me to figure out, too.......maybe.....
Indeed. Some very similar tool is included within Windows Vista.
Once I get the hang of it, seeing as how I've never had another pc networked to this one (It is called a network, right?).
Absolutly a local area network (LAN is the acronym).

Feel free to start a new thread (in this forum), if you need some advise on how to set up your network. :)
[Thread splitted: Part concerning MadameX' PC here]

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

SyncToy 2

Post by Lakys » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:02 pm

Version 2 was released some time ago...

Here is the list of new features:
  • Dynamic Drive Letter Assignment: Drive letter reassignment will now be detected and updated in the folder pair definition.
  • True Folder Sync: Folder creates, renames, and deletes are now synchronized for all SyncToy actions.
  • Exclusion Filtering Based on Name: File exclusion based on name with exact or fuzzy matching.
  • Filtering Based on File Attributes: The ability to exclude files based on one or more file attributes (Read-Only, System, Hidden).
  • Unattended Folder Pair Execution: Addressed issues related to running scheduled folder pairs while logged off.
  • Folder Pairs With Shared Endpoints: Ability for folder pairs associated with the same or different instances of SyncToy to share end-points.
  • Command line enhancements: Added the ability to manage folder pairs via the command line interface.
  • Re-Architect Sync Engine: The SyncToy engine has been rearchitected to provide scalability and the ability to add significant enhancements in future releases.
  • Sync engine is also more robust insomuch that many single, file level errors are skipped without affecting the entire sync operation.
  • Sync Encrypted Files: Sync of Encrypted files works when local folder and files are encrypted, which addresses the common scenario involving sync between local, encrypted laptop PC folder and remote, unencrypted desktop PC folder.
  • 64-Bit Support: SyncToy now has a native 64-bit build (x64 only) for 64-bit versions of Windows.
  • Folder pair rename
  • Sub-folder Exclusion Enhancements: Descendents created under excluded sub-folders are automatically excluded. Usability improvements for the sub-folder exclusion dialog.
  • Folder Pair Metadata Moved: Folder pair metadata removed from MyDocuments to resolve any issues with server-based folder pair re-direction setup.
  • Setup Improvements: Integrated setup with single self-extracting archive file and no extra downloads if you already have .NET Framework 2.0 installed. Enabled silent install for the SyncToy Installer file (see readme.txt file for more information).
  • Removed combine and subscribe actions.
  • Removed combine and subscribe actions.
It is cool, it will work pretty well with my Windows XP x64 :)

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

SyncToy FAQ and forum support

Post by Lakys » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:05 pm

There is a FAQ on the Microsoft's support forum.

And as you may have found from the previous link, there is a whole forum section just for SyncToy.

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

SyncToy 1.4 download link

Post by Lakys » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:42 pm

After different attempts using the version 2.0, I fount it too slow. I am going to try with the V1.4.

Here is SyncToy version 1.4 download link.

Edit: no longer available - download V2 :(

Return to “General discussions”