Any interrest in buying an old version of Poser?

A forum about Smith Micro Graphics' Poser software
Bob Morane

Any interrest in buying an old version of Poser?

Post by Bob Morane » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:05 pm

Hello, i just received the CP newsletter. They have a software sale. They retrieved Poser 6 from their archives, and are selling it for $29.99. Poser 7 is also on sale for $99. Well, as most of you know, i'm a Studio user and have no plan to switch to Poser, but Studio still misses some Poser functionalities. A few months ago, i wouldn't hesitate to buy P6 at that price. Now, with the Figure setup tools for Studio, and the "soon" to be released Dynamic Clothes plugin, i'm not sure Poser is still interesting.

So, what do you think about this? Does some of you have Poser and use it to fill some gap in Studio? Would i be able to load and re-save poser MAT files in a format Studio can read (MC6, MT5 ...)? Would it help me in any way?

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lakys » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:13 pm

Hi Bob,

I can just say I haven't used my Poser 6 since ages (probably not in 2008, maybe twice in 2007).

$30 is cheap. Question is whether you would like it or not. $30 is a waste if you don't use it more than once.

My advice is, as always, download a trial version and figure out by yourself whether you like it and whether you need it (or not).

Good luck. :)

Bob Morane

Post by Bob Morane » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:32 pm

OK, thanks. I wasn't aware there was a demo of Poser.
Well, from your answer i can tell it's not all that useful, even thought some functions are still missing from Studio.

I'll test it, the promo is good all the way to December 31, so I'll have time to test it.

EDIT -> I have downloaded it. It's waaayyy too limited as a demo :evil: I can't even add my runtimes and test some not DS friendly content. I can only try the interface.

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lakys » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:32 pm

Bob Morane wrote:OK, thanks. I wasn't aware there was a demo of Poser.
Well, from your answer i can tell it's not all that useful, even thought some functions are still missing from Studio.
Well if DAZ Studio was not existing, I would probably spend lot of time using Poser.

It is a good software, but the interface design is old and somehow clumsy for certain features. Poser 6 introduced some good enhancements, such OpenGL support (for preview) or IBL.
I'll test it, the promo is good all the way to December 31, so I'll have time to test it.
You should definitely do it to make your own idea. You may hate it or love it, but you can never know before trying it. ;)

Return to “Poser”