High resolution HDRI sea map

Needing some royalty-free photography, a landscape render, a fractal picture for your artwork?
Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

High resolution HDRI sea map

Post by Lakys » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:47 pm

Well, it is not as good as what I wanted. But I have to make a compromise to keep render time in 9 hours.
Attachments
sea-island.hdr
4096 x 2048 pixel HDRI map
(19.41 MiB) Downloaded 3261 times

waterboy
Visitor
Visitor

Any other HDRIs

Post by waterboy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:14 pm

Hi,

just wondering if you have got round to increasing the res on this. Have you done any others. I am looking for a good HDRI to render a boat in.

hope you can help

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lakys » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:18 pm

Hi,

those things are slow to render. You should download PLE edition of Vue (it's free!), and do it by yourself. Then it will have exactly the angle, daylight you are after.
At the moment I cannot provide that resources to you. Sorry.

waterboy
Visitor
Visitor

Super images

Post by waterboy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:55 pm

Hi,

I think the guy who originally asked you to create this for him created these renderings in hypershot using an HDRI. http://www.superyachttimes.com/superyac ... le/id/3023

Did you create these HDRIs or do you know how he got hold of them.[/url]

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lakys » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:11 pm

Hi,

it doesn't look like my HDRI maps. They look somehow more realistic (possibly created from photographies).

However, this is not a really good strategy to use HDRI maps (including the sea) to make an overview of a yatch: it is impossible to manage the sea around the boat and something really look realistic (the interaction of the boat and the water, plus the reflections, and caustics).
The only thing which should be used is just a skydome (HDRI or not).

waterboy
Visitor
Visitor

skydome

Post by waterboy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:44 pm

Hi,

Where can i get hold of a hi res sky dome? the ones that come with hypershot all have ground in them which reflects in the boat. What i would like to do is create a plane on which i create a water texture and then use an hdri sky for lighting and clouds reflections

cheers

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lakys » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:30 pm

Hi Waterboy,
Where can i get hold of a hi res sky dome?
I guess you can find out some free ones on the internet.

Otherwise there several websites offering commercial ones.

Last way is to produce them yourself from photographies (you made or you buy).
What i would like to do is create a plane on which i create a water texture and then use an hdri sky for lighting and clouds reflections
A plane may look somehow flat. Well it is not that easy to make some water, lake or ocean look realistic. Sea requires some waves, otherwise the baseline of the boat may look flat as well.
You can probably use some displacement map.

But an application handling procedural ways is much better.

That said, I may purchase the latest upgrade for Vue Infinite 8. So there might be some chance that I make some additional maps. ;)
The clouds and skies are stunning.

Thanks.

waterboy
Visitor
Visitor

Post by waterboy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:45 pm

Thanks for you quick reply.

Do you know what software was used to make the images i linked you to the other day. I pretty sure they were created by the guy who you created this hdri for.

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lakys » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:23 pm

waterboy wrote:Thanks for you quick reply.

Do you know what software was used to make the images i linked you to the other day. I pretty sure they were created by the guy who you created this hdri for.
I am not sure.

But the best for skies and clouds is probably Vue. At least in the affordable solutions.

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lakys » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:38 pm

Hello,

please have a look at this render in the Vue 8 samples.

It illustrates exactly what I meant earlier about the sea.

waterboy
Visitor
Visitor

Post by waterboy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:32 am

Thanks for that. I agree it is very impressive. The problem i have is that vue takes a long time to render and does not alow real time rendering. I am using hypershot as a design tool to let me visulase very quickly and from many diffent angles, the design i am working on. What is want to create a quick but effective means of rendering the boat in hypershot on a water plane with a half decent sky, reflections and water. What I have done is render a flat plane with water which does the job, however the difficult bit is finding an HDRI sky with a sea level horizon which is created with the hdri cube template that hypershot uses.

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lakys » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:10 pm

Hi, I don't know well at all the last technics and tricks to render water or sea in real time.

I have ordered the latest Vue 8. Once I get it, I will see whether I can make you a good HDRI map for what you are after.

waterboy
Visitor
Visitor

Post by waterboy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:48 pm

That would be Great!!!

Thankyou!

Return to “Backgrounds (and some textures)”