DAZ Victoria 5 is out!

The place for general discussions about Computer Graphics.
Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

DAZ Victoria 5 is out!

Post by Lakys » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:31 am

Finally V4 has not a that long life and got a now a (brand) new sister Victoria 5.

Is she worth it? It depends...

Considering it is hard to avoid the genesis concept within DAZ Studio 4, you might find hard to avoid her. Guess what, it starts being pricy, especially as they (want to) us pay once again, the bikini and all the wardrobe coming. Let's take the pro package, the quality of the mesh is certain, but V4 was already pretty good, but can't say the renders are really that appealing and gorgeous. Why? Lack of realism, most of them have something wrong, unnatural, making her looking like a doll or a dummy. That's a shame as there is probably some good textures, but some others are not good at all. The hairs are far to get the quality we got from Quaker's products, the meshes look poor, the texture are either dull and highly repeated, or extra shiny, look too metallic too my taste. Yes we had a tutorial for that, but pushing too much the specularity effect, you got a metallic brush, not hair anymore. :lol:
3 or 4 years ago. Those hair just look ok for toon characters. But would we pay 500 bucks to make toon characters? No we have already all we needed with previous Aikos. So Genesis is cool, but I won't make better realistic renders, if first the quality of the products are not there, and secondly if the person using it are not talented and aware that the least mistake will end crashing realism to the group.

At a time, I liked DAZ as they were having high QA standards. Nowadays, I think I will just cancel (once again) my subscription to the newsletter (got it to get DAZ Studio 4). Some products are just ugly, not even worth being at Renderosity. Worst, I see some talented published artists making work not even comparable to what they use to do years ago. Don't get me wrong a very few and rare are probably great, but can't say I found one yet from the promo newsletter.

So finally good 3D is in movies only? And that so called affordable 3D for every people is not existing anymore. Things have become highly commercial, and quality is least concern. There used to be some very passionate people who won't sign again for that crap.
What are DAZ Studio 4 plus Victoria 5? The ultimate you pay more, you get less, virtual doll?

What are your thoughts? Have you purchased V5, if no or yes why?

Thanks for reading.

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lakys » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:20 pm

Nearly 6 months ago, I wrote this news trying to understand DAZ's strategy behind Victoria 5.

Looking today at the DAZ store, I could not find that many products, released for Victoria 5, or even the Genesis figures.
But among them, just "judging" from the quality of promo pictures, I could hardly find a product worth considering purchasing.

This confirms what I wrote before, quality has really dropped compared to the highest levels we had in 2005-2007. Is it possible that DAZ has lost the support of a part of its community? Or that only a few artists still wish to offer valuable products?
Considering the world economy, I guess people are not interested anymore to put their money in some virtual wardrobe becoming obsolete a couple of years, as a new figure is out. Is Genesis supposed to prevent that? Would we get a Genesis 2.0 someday?
I guess we will see.

Still this brings a big question for DAZ: real time 3D gaming industry brings some render quality starting to compete to what you get with 3D softwares, at least when you don't use them well. Instead of purchasing for hundred bucks in 3D figures, wardrobes, backdrops, and so forth, is it not just better to purchase/subscribe to an online MMRPG (massive multi-layer role playing game), or something like the SIMs?

I suppose that's where the market is evolving. Just see the character setup in some games, frankly, why would you pay DAZ Studio 4 plus Genesis, when you can get something really fun to play with? I imagine that the true hobbyist artist, or professional might keep using softwares, leaving the others to move on and get to some new horizons...

Return to “The Commons”