Has anyone tried the Shader Builder in Daz 3.0 Beta?

Various informations and discussions about DAZ Studio
ChesterM
Visitor
Visitor

Has anyone tried the Shader Builder in Daz 3.0 Beta?

Post by ChesterM » Thu May 28, 2009 1:25 am

I just installed the beta, and while this feature looks very powerful, it also confused me heavily. It's like having an ocean of possibilities in front of you, but not being able to figure out how to get the boat moving. :)

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Has anyone tried the Shader Builder in Daz 3.0 Beta?

Post by Lakys » Thu May 28, 2009 9:42 am

ChesterM wrote:I just installed the beta, and while this feature looks very powerful, it also confused me heavily. It's like having an ocean of possibilities in front of you, but not being able to figure out how to get the boat moving. :)
Hi Chester,

I agree, it is huge, as much as the features than the complexity to understand it.

Actually, it is a library and an editor to create or modify 3Delight RSL shaders. So the way to figure out, is to open an existing surface shader (a simple one like DzSimplePlastic) and to look into it.

Normally a surface shader must have at least two parameters Ci, which controls the color and Oi the transparency. Those two parameters are the ones used to render any surfaces. Then you need to establish a formula (composed of nodes) to compute them. Most of time, to determine them, you use N which is the normal of the surface and I the vector of incident ray (light mostly). You can get a list of those predefined shader variables from 3Delight documentation.

The rest is mostly maths and geometry. ;)

Feel free to ask more questions.

Return to “DAZ Studio”