Render Throttle, new DS add-on by Omnifreaker

Various informations and discussions about DAZ Studio
Bob Morane

Render Throttle, new DS add-on by Omnifreaker

Post by Bob Morane » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:27 pm

Hello, i just noticed this product have appeared in the store.

From the description :
RenderThrottle is a render optimization preset manager add-on for DAZ Studio.

Using RenderThrottle will most always render images faster than using the default DAZ Studio render settings with comparable results when using the Hi preset which can be almost twice as fast. This speed boost is achievable by giving you access to critical 3Delight parameters that are otherwise not available in the DAZ Studio interface. The other presets allow you to quickly and easily render with test and preview images that can be multiple times faster than using the render settings alone.

RenderThrottle also provides four customizable, and sharable render quality presets. The RenderThrottle options interface gives you control over what settings the given preset will affect. RenderThrottle can be made to only drive global render options, UberEnvironment specific options, or both.
Mhh, what do you think of this? Do you think this product would work with non-standard shaders like the pw shaders?

EDIT : More information from the DAZ forum
It exposes the shading rate parameter which most poser firefly users should be familiar with.

lower value = sharper/more detail, slower render
higher value = less detail, faster render

Daz Studio default is 0.2 (so if you lower it to 0.2, you should get the same render time). You can push it higher to get faster renders at the expense of quality.
And
According to the 3Delight Docs.
ShadingRate
Test renders should specify "ShadingRate 4" or more. Final renders should use "ShadingRate 1". Smaller shading rates are rarely needed and are often used by shaders that produce high frequencies(49).
Judging by my results so far, I think they are right. I can see no difference between DS and RT renders (so far). At the very least, it would allow for much quicker test renders, even at that it is worth the money to me.

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lakys » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:37 pm

Well it is true that DAZ Studio shaders have a very low shading rate. Increasing the shading rate can be used to speed up the render vs the quality.

This tool seems to only optimizes those settings depending on render resolution settings.

It is only filling some lack in the DAZ Studio interface. All those settings are exposed in the rendertime files of the custom surface shaders. Well it may be handy to have them directly. In pwSurface, some shading rates, are already set (4 for sss). It might speed it up, but the result might be ok or bad.

Omnifreaker is definitely brilliant, he found new way to make a new add-on on something largely covered. :)

But keep in mind one thing, if using a shading rate greater than 1 is okay for sss, blur shadows or reflections, Ambient Occlusion, or IBL, it is certainly not for the beauty pass when the polygons are shaded/painted.

Now the reason why DAZ wants to keep the shading rate at 0.2 is still a mystery. I guess they wanted to get extremely sharp pictures, while having a renderer not that fast (which would have killed Bryce for instance).

[edit to fix typos.]
Last edited by Lakys on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bob Morane

Post by Bob Morane » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:28 pm

Lakys wrote: It is only filling some lack in the DAZ Studio interface
Yes, but there is no way to access it for normal functions without this add-on is there?
But keep in mind one thing, if using a shading rate greater than 1 is okay for sss, blur shadows or reflections, Ambient Occlusion, or IBL, it is certainly not for the beauty pass when the polygons are shaded/painted.
I understand it, but it brings a new function : 3delight drafts in addition to the openGL draft and spot renders to quickly evaluate the quality of a scene.
Now the reason why DAZ wants to keep the shading rate at 0.2 is still a mystery. I guess they wanted to get extremely sharp pictures, while having a renderer not that fast (which would have killed Bryce for instance).
I was wondering if this was a deliberate move when i read the recommended shading rate was 1, i thought it might be to keep Carrara as the fast renderer of their line. Someone posted a comparison of standard DS render vs one "optimized" with different Render Throttle quality presets, and i was unable to tell the default was better than the High preset. There were slight differences, but slight.

drdancm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Render Throttle is Really Good!

Post by drdancm » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:26 am

I bought Render Throttle even though I was a bit worried that it might not come up to my expectations, like most utilities.

In fact it is really fantastic. I would say that it is the single most useful program for DS next to Laky's USMP. Without USMP I was getting horrible, bizarre skin tones and could not get really good looking results. As far as I'm concerned it is a must for DAZ Studio.

Render Throtlle has saved me tons of rendering time and it has a really good, simple, easy to use interface. Furthermore you don't have to understand all of the details of 3Delight rendering, order to get really fast draft rendering or fast hi res rendering.

I used to do all my draft renders with OpenGL -but using the RT lower res draft mode(s) is much better and it saves mouse clicks, and more accurately reflects the final Hi res render.

I've used it with V42 Elite characters that I setup w USMP and then the bundled Human Shader (also by Omnifreak) with default lights as well as with a single DS Spotlight (w or w/out Deep shadow).

Highly recommended at 50% off or at full price.

Dan

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lakys » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:20 am

That's good to hear Dan :)
I was wondering if this was a deliberate move when i read the recommended shading rate was 1, i thought it might be to keep Carrara as the fast renderer of their line. Someone posted a comparison of standard DS render vs one "optimized" with different Render Throttle quality presets, and i was unable to tell the default was better than the High preset. There were slight differences, but slight.
Well, that's indeed micro information. It might possibly make a difference when you use displacement, refraction, reflection, or depth of field.

Return to “DAZ Studio”