SubD Tutorial: Improve signifiantly haircut geometries

Various informations and discussions about DAZ Studio
Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lakys » Fri May 23, 2008 8:59 am

Bison Ravi wrote:
weimart wrote:So far only V4 was released with LOD capability.
Now, there is also the DAZ Millenium Subdragon (the name is explicit: sub-dragon for sub-division).
If you are interested to get some renders of the Sub Dragon, please let me know.

Bouldersean, that's a very good example. Do you allow us to integrate your example within the (future) wiki version of this tutorial?

Thanks.

BoulderSean
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by BoulderSean » Fri May 23, 2008 4:05 pm

certainly, lakys; feel free.

Bison Ravi
Technician
Technician

Caveats of sub-division

Post by Bison Ravi » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:41 am

As described in this thread, subdivision is a fantastic tool to smooth meshes (considering you've the right amount of RAM :wink: ) but there are some caveats concerning corners or crisp edges as shown in the following image.

The back row shows the initial objects and the front row shows the same objects with a subdivision. The differences between the two cubes come from the initial subdivision of the sides. Note how those cubes are deformed with the subdivision. The top (and bottom) of the cylinder are kept intact because the sides of the cylinder are smooth.

So, the subdivision is perfect for hairs or already smooth surfaces (bodies are usually smooth too :D ) but be aware that you could destroy some objects if you want to enhance a mesh with subdivision. As the modification can't be undone under DAZ Studio (you get a warning), consider making a save before applying it.

PS : That's why good 3D manuals ask to avoid creating crisp edges and ask the user to create tiny bevelled edges instead. This makes meshes heavier but subdivision can be applied without any problem.
Attachments
SubTest.jpg
Caveats on subdivision
SubTest.jpg (76.5 KiB) Viewed 397 times

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lakys » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:26 pm

Actually for the cube, it is intended to work that way. The cube primitive is just 6 adjacent squares (= 6 plane primitives)

There is no bug.

If you don't see what I mean, try to subd some plane primitives. :wink:

Bison Ravi
Technician
Technician

Post by Bison Ravi » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:44 pm

Lakys wrote:Actually for the cube, it is intended to work that way. The cube primitive is just 6 adjacent squares (= 6 plane primitives)
There is no bug.
In fact, I didn't say it was a bug but more an issue when subdividing crisp edges.

I agree that the DAZ cube was a wrong example, considering the structure of the cube. So here is another test. I created a cube under Hexagon, bevelled three edges, exported it in an OBJ file and imported it twice into DAZ Studio. One of them has been subdivided and is shown with a level 2 subdivision. We can see that the bevelled corner and some part of the bevelled edges are kept safe but the remaining of the cube is not really what we can expect to get with subdivision. From the technical point of view of a seasoned user, the subdivision is correct; for a novice user, the result is a bit disappointing...
Attachments
SubDiv.jpg
Subdivision caveats (2)
SubDiv.jpg (69.03 KiB) Viewed 377 times

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lakys » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:54 pm

Well subdivision is good for novices as long as they use items intended to use SubD ;)

I consider modelling as advanced stuff. I say that just because understanding well how things work would give an headache to most mortals who have not passed recently a degree in geometry or topology. :?

Kerya
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Kerya » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:42 pm

Thank you very much!
I never understood SubD and LOD ... now I do. :D

Return to “DAZ Studio”