What is "DAZ studio downloader" and "graphic.exe"?

Various informations and discussions about DAZ Studio
lenrely
Visitor
Visitor

What is "DAZ studio downloader" and "graphic.exe"?

Post by lenrely » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:01 am

I just spent hours installing what I thought was DAZ studio for my older OS. It said "downloader is now installed" and gave me the file graphic.exe which does nothing. There is no "/DAZ/" folder and no file DAZstudio***.exe. This was not a bad link, all results for this version lead to "graphic.exe". I can't find any other source for my OS. What is this file supposed to do?

Len

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lakys » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:19 am

Hi Len,

I don't know exactly what you downloaded and installed, but as it doesn't seem to be DAZ Studio, I recommend you to use an up-to-date anti-virus and to run a full scan.

What kind of DAZ Studio version were you trying to find? What is your old OS?

lenrely
Visitor
Visitor

Post by lenrely » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:47 pm

I have Win98.

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lakys » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:02 pm

lenrely wrote:I have Win98.
Ouch... You know it wasn't even a true 32bit OS (unlike NT, and 2000).

Even if you consider graphic support, DAZ Studio relies on OpenGL drivers to display viewports. In 98 years, it was existing, but not having half the features and video memory to make things working smoothly. I don't know exactly what PC you have behind, but to make Studio working well, you need something more looking like a rather recent workstation, a gamer PC than a 15 years old PC.
What are your PC specs (memory, cpu, disk) ?

Early Studio versions (till 1.3.x) had some very good support on old systems. I doubt recent ones would work well without having the latest OpenGL versions, plus a good cpu and loads of memory.

Considering the number of people migrating to Windows 7 (and probably later this year to W8), you can probably find easily some not used anymore XP licenses around.

Don't forget that it is dangerous to connect a Windows 98 machine to internet (with some NAT and firewall). I recall ten years ago, in less than a couple of seconds, it got infected by just connecting it without any firewall.
Even XP without the latest service packs is highly vulnerable.

lenrely
Visitor
Visitor

Post by lenrely » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:32 pm

Actually I have found obsolete hardware to be the only true antivirus. Ware that plagues every newer PC has never once affected mine; if I didn't talk to people I wouldn't know it existed. These ads for versions 2.3 to 3.5 list Win98 among the accepted platforms.

RAM: 96 MB, 53% free

Lakys
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lakys » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:22 pm

lenrely wrote:RAM: 96 MB, 53% free
I doubt it can run with so few memory.

Concerning version 4: http://www.daz3d.com/i/products/daz_studio/tech_specs

Return to “DAZ Studio”